In 2006, the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" hit theaters. It instantly become one of my favorites. Not just because it's a great film, but because I was drawn to the stylish outfits and life in the big city.
At the time, I was living in West Virginia - two hours away from the nearest city and my hometown of Pittsburgh. (I grew up in the suburbs 40 minutes south of the city and dearly missed it.) And while I longed to be stylish, at the time I had yet to acquire the expertise to pull together such a wardrobe.
Fast forward seven years later. I recently started a job in downtown Pittsburgh. In addition, I had the knowledge and skill to put together a stylish and professional wardrobe - and the confidence to wear it.
In the movie, Andy had Nigel.
I had Jesus. (Or, rather, Jesus had me.)
When Jesus Saved me back in 2004, I had very little self-confidence and sense of self-worth. I so badly wanted to be confident and stylish, but various things in my life impeded that desire - my sin, deep wounds, the lack of encouraging parties in my life, etc. In short, I was a total mess inside. But God began sanctifying and healing me, and through that process the Jenn that He created me to be slowly began to emerge. (With a confidence - in Christ - and a sense of style as part of the package.)
The process, however, was not an easy one. It included many tough trials and I had to trust Jesus in huge ways. I also had to learn to let go of various idols, denounce lies about my myself that I had come to believe, and to face certain fears.
No Christian likes trials. But there's no avoiding the truth that it's through those tough times that God refines and strengthens us.
I am a completely different person than I was in 2006. And the Jenn in 2006 was a different person than the Jenn who hadn't known Jesus. As we walk with God, as we submit to Him and follow where He leads, He changes who we are at our core. So much so, that we look back and can't recognize ourself.
That's sanctification.
Submit to Christ. Allow Him to change you. To make you less of yourself (i.e. a sinner and broken individual) and more like Him. Follow where He leads. He might just lead you to, well, the real you...

No comments:
Post a Comment